Easter ... Dogs and Cats Beware!

Easter is usually celebrated with the gifts of chocolate in many different shapes.

However, chocolate is poisonous to dogs and cats, so please protect your pets.
Chocolate is made up of many chemicals (more than 300), these include: xanthines, theobromine and caffeine.

Dark chocolate and cooking chocolate are more poisonous than milk chocolate, with white chocolate to a lesser extent. However, white chocolate has high levels of fat and can cause its own problems.

The problem for dogs and cats is theobromine, with caffeine in chocolate to a lesser extent.

Look for these signs if you think your pet has eaten some chocolate:
In dogs: vomiting and diarrhoea worsening to heart problems, tremors, seizures and even death

And in cats: vomiting, diarrhoea, thirst and hyperactivity worsening to tremors, seizures rapid breathing and eventually death

Cats are more sensitive to theobromine than dogs. However, if you suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate you should consult your vet ASAP.

Older Post Newer Post